- Gigachurches can serve thousands
- By Jeff Strickler/McClatchy-Tribune News Service
- MINNEAPOLIS – The 23rd Psalm rolled off the Rev. Jason Strand’s tongue with soothing familiarity, the way it had since he memorized it as a boy.
“The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green ... Full story
- An oasis of serenity for a fast-paced world
- By John Chadwick/McClatchy-Tribune News Service
- HACKENSACK, N.J.– Like many houses of worship, the Sadhu Vaswani Center in Closter, N.J., has a sign that displays spiritual messages to passers-by.
But rather than trumpeting familiar injunctions like “Praise the Lord,” the Hindu ... Full story
- As pastors retire, leaders seek young clergy
- By Sam Hodges/McClatchy-Tribune News Service
- DALLAS – It would be a stretch to call Dallas native Trace Haythorn the “Mr. Fix-It” for the clergy shortage facing American Christianity.
But as the recently named president of the Fund for Theological Education, he’s in the... Full story
- Promise Keepers kicks off eight-city tour
- By Ron Orozco/McClatchy Newspapers
- FRESNO – Ron Hooper of Flagstaff, Ariz., said he traveled to Fresno
so he could get to know God a little better, something he said would
help him become a better husband, father and man.
“It doesn’t come automatic,” he said... Full story
- Modern-day knights abound, if you know where to look
- Sue Nowicki / McClatchy Newspapers
- MODESTO – In “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade,” in order to save his father (Sean Connery) from a gunshot wound, the title character (Harrison Ford) must choose the correct chalice used by Jesus Christ on the eve of his crucifixi... Full story
- Obama spotlights United Church of Christ
- Denomination seeks to share its mission, message of inclusion with public only aware of pastor controversy
- By Colette M. Jenkins/McClatchy-Tribune News Service
- AKRON, Ohio – The Cleveland-based United Church of Christ has found itself in an uncomfortable spotlight because one of its 1.2 million members, Sen. Barack Obama, is running for president.
At issue are video clips of fiery rhetoric from Obama... Full story
- Woman recalls life in polygamist sect
- By David Perlmutt/McClatchy Newspapers
- Charlotte, N.C. – She was raised by her father and his three wives, surrounded by 12 siblings.
There was no TV, no radio. At school, she was taught that man never landed on the moon. She and other girls in the polygamist Fundamentalist Church ... Full story
- Jesus on Divorce
- By Pastor Ron Barker/Tehachapi First Baptist Church
- Divorce is devastating. Many who have been divorced could give testimonies that would drive this truth down our throats. The pain of divorce is excruciating, and not only for the couple, but for their children.
What does Jesus say about ... Full story
- April 13
- There will be a meeting at the Magalia Community Church on April 13 at 1:15 p.m. to discuss the upcoming trip to Israel.
This is an open meeting for anyone interested in going with a group to Israel, learning more about Israel, or would just like to... Full story
- April 4
- Willows Christian Church is having a spring salad luncheon
- Willows Christian church is having a spring salad luncheon on April 4 from 11 a.m to 1 p.m. at 200 South Plumas St.
Donations are $7. Take-out and delivery is available 934-3490.... Full story